Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Things I simply *must* have.

They will be Mine. Oh yes...


I have a very real problem of falling down the rabbit hole of dinosaur themed shopping. It always starts so innocent...a seemingly harmless visit to a paleontology Facebook page or stopping in to visit r/dinosaurs on Reddit. I see something mildly interesting so I click....then follow that link...then another...and another...
Then suddenly I have an entire catalog of shit I must have in my life.

I decided the best way to cope with the fact that I have a crazy obsession with dinosaur themed anything, is to share and possibly infect others with this adorable virus. 
Since my list is very long, I've picked out some of my top favorites to share. It goes without saying that literally any Papo or Shielch dinosaur toy that's out there must be mine, so I'll skip posting a long list of all those that exist.
Instead, this is the more fun or truly amazing items I've come across during my late night Etsy and collector site binge-fests.

Sorry in advance for the expensive crap you're about to want. 

PS: I've saved the best one for last.

The List


1.) Inflatable T-rex costume ---- $100



How is this not the best one, you ask? Because this one is something that will eventually be mine in the future. I have a goal of owning this wondrous creation in 2016, either for A-Kon or for Halloween.
These awesome suits have become something of an Internet sensation, and I have yet to get sick of seeing them. People don these amazing costumes and do the most insane things, from ice skating, to pole dancing to competing in American Ninja Warrior. 
They're so incredibly doofy and cute that it's hard not to just adore the hell out of them. 

Plus, not only are they license from Jurassic World, they're WAY cheaper than the realistic Walking with Dinosaur style suits that cost well into the thousands.

It's the best of both worlds: silly and you get to be a dinosaur. This is kind of a life goal of mine, and what I've wanted to grow up as since I was five.



2.) DinoStoreus Skulls, Skeletons and Full Flesh Models ---- $44 - $350



I wanted to start with the basics: awesome collectible statues. I think these are something every dinosaur fan would want/need, and they are as pretty as they are reasonable in price. 

You've got a couple options when it comes to these guys: skull, full skeleton and fully fleshed models. They're perfect desk pieces and I've seen these in paleontologists offices. Honestly, I was trying to pick my favorites, but I'd really love any of these pieces. They're all SO cool.


3.)  Regaliceratops bust from BlueDino ---- $179



I think I've gushed about my love for this Ceratopsian in the past, but it's worth mentioning again how freaking cool it looks.
This bust is really gorgeous. It's hand sculpted and painted by the artist, and I would kill a man to have it in my grubby hands. It does have the option to come unpainted for a little cheaper, but I'm pretty sure I'd botch any type of paint job. I have zero skill in that department. It'd end up looking like a toddler scribbled on  very nice piece of art and I'd probably have to kill myself.

I'm a pro at pining for stunning works of art though. 

I love how detailed it is, especially the frill, and how he kept the red theme from Julius Csotonyi's painting. Simply amazing.

4.) Trilobite Plushie from PaleoGirl Crafts ---- $43



HOW ADORABLE IS THIS GUY??

I cannot get over how fluffy and sweet his little face is. Yes, ok...this isn't a dinosaur but good lord do I love Trilobites. 
As soon as this brilliant woman is taking commissions again, we're having a conversation about a Tiktaalic....

5.) These ridiculous as fuck dinosaur heels  ---- $260



Because I'm a lady with refined taste and class.
Plus, those are totally the same T-rex toys I have and their jaws open and close. That's just fancy.

6.) Custom Baby Raptor Sculpture ---- $70



This is so beyond cute. Not only can this sweet little dude look however you want, but he is all curled up like he's fresh from his egg. I want to snuggle him! 

It's always cool to see dinosaurs in different poses besides roaring, fighting or charging. Don't get me wrong, those are all awesome, but I do love seeing babies and sleeping dinosaurs too.
It makes them feel like real animals, which they were, and not mythical monster-beasts.

Either way, this guy is fantastic and I need an orange one in my life one day.

Side note, I wish they had feathers. :C

7.) Baby Raptor Blind Box by Rebor -- ~$5 for one or ~$40 for the full set



Two baby raptor things!? So neat, right?!

I don't think these guys are available stateside. The only place I could find them is at everythingdinosaur.com, and everything is in Euros. 
They're cute as hell little blind boxes that come in different colors. I really adore all of them and per Rebor style, always pretty and well detailed. I really hope they come across the pond and pop up at something local.

Looking at you, GameStop and ThinkGeek. Don't fail me.

8.)  Dimorphodon Judy and Punch by Rebor ---- ~$45



Yet another amazing find and correct...they're also not dinosaurs.

I KNOW, CALM DOWN.

But c'mon...these come as a pair and they have names. I love them so much, and I love that Judy is in flight while Punch looks up lovingly at her. I'm not usually big on the flying reptiles -- I mean, I do think they're really neat, but they've never been my top favorites. These little dudes are just too cool and they'd look so good in the collection.
I guess I should give pterosaurs more love.

I think most people will recognize those pterosaurs from Jurassic World as the "trex head flying dinosaur hybrid", to which I say, get the fuck off my blog you filthy peasant they're actually real animals and not hybrid.

I had a conversation with a coworker a couple months ago involving this creature, and it amazed me that he thought they were one of the genetic experiments. In looking up the information about it, because I'm not as well depth in pterosaurs, Dimorphodons are commonly searched for as "the trex flying dino from Jurassic World". 
To be fair, I only knew about them because I watch a lot of dinosaur documentaries and I remembered them from one of of the many that were on Netflix (grumble, grumble), so I'm not acting like I'm so snooty jerk.
Well...I kinda am. More people should watch dinosaur stuff, damnit!!

9.) Feathered T-rex toy from Collecta --- $25 (though I've seen it go for like $70)



That's right! Finally a feathered T-rex!! 

This toy just came out and my god I want it. You don't see not naked T-rex toys ever, so when this one hit the market, it started to sell out right away. 
I love the color pallet of this dinosaur and the feathers looks so cool. I'm glad to see model companies starting to embrace scientifically accurate dinosaurs these days. 

It warms my heart. 


10.) New Papo dinosaurs: Baryonyx and feathered Velociraptor ---- ~$26/each




MOAR FEATHERS!!

I just recently learned abut Baryonyx, and this dinosaur is so strangely cool looking that he's slowly becoming a new favorite. I'm also just tickled as hell about the raptor having feathers, because I'm yet again being a snobby asshole about things.

I really like the Papo line and I think they're going to stay at the top of my list. All of their toys are so incredibly detailed and often in the coolest poses. Very lifelike in the smallest details, and they pick the coolest dinosaurs to make toys out of. 
I only have the one Papo toy, my beloved Dimetrodon, and I always loved how his skin folds a little where his body is turning. 

It's the little thing that makes this toy company so damn good. That and they're fairly cheap and stateside, which is nice. 

Side note, the raptor isn't out yet, but the Baryonyx is. 


11.) Dinosaur Hair Clips from ThinkGeek --- $15



Because, again, I'm a lady with sophisticated class and taste. 

Cute, colorful, and sticking with the classics. You can't go wrong!
Plus, they'll go great with those freaking heels and the next item too.

12.) Double sided velociraptor necklace --- $22



Cause....cause orange and skeleton. :3

13.) T-rex shower head --- $20



Nothing says shower time quite like a roaring dinosaur skull vomiting steaming hot water at your face.
You can pick the color you want, which means it'll fit any theme for your bathroom and guys let's face it...can you really go back to your normal, not T-rex shower head now that you know this exists?

No. No you can't.


And the grand finale: 



14.) Raptor Body Pillow --- $50




Your wifu got nothing on my raptor. 

I need this guy to live next to my Souji Okita and I need to snuggle with it SO BAD. This is just too ridiculous not to have. I love that he's on the bed sheet background, I love that he's smiling, I love that he has feathers.

I just. Plain. Love it.

- M


No comments:

Post a Comment