Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Sumikko Gurashi: my new obession





    My best friend recently went to Japan, a place I've been wanting to go to since I first discovered Dragon Ball Z around the age of 13. Along with the muscly badasses I grew up wanting to be like, I also fell in love with their ability to make anything in the world be adorable and cutesy. Even the most mundane things in their culture have a cute slant to them, making them more enjoyable and sweet.

    Shen brought back a lot of cool stuff from Japan, along with various pictures and amazing stories, but the crowning achievement was her discovery of Sumikko Gurashi. This band of cute misfits with anxiety issues, yes I'm totally serious, comprises of a bear who needs his blanket and tea to feel safe, a snail who lies, a cat who has an obsession with sharpening his her claws, a fried pork cutlet who is "1% meat and 99% ambition" and two dinosaur buddies among others. These guys also like to dress up and dinosaurs, which makes me want to curl up and die from a cute overload.



    I love that dinosaurs are weaseling back into main stream culture, not just in Japan. Don't get me wrong, I love the scientifically accurate dinosaurs, but the cute ones make them more approachable to people.

    I needed to get this post up so I could start on a more substantial post about some science stuff. I listened to a podcast recently talking about Troodons and I think I wanna do a full post about them so I need to start gathering information.

    Anyway, you're welcome for the new cute thing you're going to want to obsesses about and buy tons of stuff for. :D


2 comments: