Friday, July 15, 2016

Book Review: Top 10 Dinosaurs of 2015


Top 10 Dinosaurs of 2015

Cute, fun, refreshing




I heard about this book because the author co-hosts my favorite podcast I Know Dino. So, naturally, I wanted to support them as much as I can, since I'm a cheap jerk who doesn't fund them through their Patreon.

I have purchased their other book Keep Your Dinosaurs Here, which was more like a journal than a book, and thought it was pretty cute. Definitely aimed for kids, the journal is very lighthearted and promotes creative writing with dinosaurs, so I of course loved it.

I really wanted to spread the word about their latest release because there was only 2 reviews on Amazon, and some jerk gave them one star, knocking their average down quite a bit. The review wasn't fair and was very snarky, so I jumped in head first to put in my two cents.
I went into it really wanting to like it and did, and I'm willing to admit I may have some bias goggles on, so I encourage others to read it and judge for yourself. 

The book isn't like most informational dinosaur books, because it's not written by a paleontologist or a doctor of geology or anything like that. It's written by a dinosaur fan who wanted to put something fun and informative into the world. I don't think the negative review put that into consideration.
Since I'm a slothlike creature of minimum effort, I'm going to copy/paste my Amazon review for the book here, because I think it properly illustrates how I felt about the book.

Amazon/Goodreads review:

As a dinosaur fan girl and overall paleontology nerd, this book was recommended to me through social media and Amazon and I freaking adore it. 
Top 10 Dinosaurs of 2015 covers the top dinosaur discoveries of that year in a fun and unique way. I spend a lot of time reading scientific articles and papers about dinosaur news, so I really appreciate the creativity that went into this book. Each dinosaur is described in a small story about their life, detailing their physical appearance, habitat and scientifically minded, fictional account of what their attitudes and day-to-day activities would be. 
My favorite so far has been the story about Kunbarrasaurus and how she follows a creature from tree to tree. It's so painfully cute.
I would highly recommend this book for dinosaur fans who enjoy a lighthearted spin on dinosaur facts, and I think kids would really like this too. The only thing I would add would be more illustrations of the dinosaurs being described, but I imagine getting permission and paying licenses for using paleo artists work is probably hefty.
Great job! I look forward to 2016's book!


When I got the book, it was free for Kindle, but otherwise I think it's like $4. Worth picking up for sure. 
You can snag the Kindle version here.
Like I had said in the review, I think there should have been more illustrations in the book to get a better idea of what these guys looked like, so I put together a collection of the dinosaurs in this book for you to enjoy.

Now when you read the book, you'll have some faces to go with the characters, because sadly some of them don't have pictures.

Enjoy!


Dinosaur cast (in order of appearance):

  • Chilesaurus "Chile Lizard"



  • Dakotaraptor "Plunderer of Dakota"



  • Kunbarrasaurus "Shield Lizard"



  • Morelladon "Morella Tooth"



  • Probrachylophosaurus "Superduck"




  • Regaliceratops "Royal Horn Face" or Hellboy



  • Sefapanosaurus "Cross Lizard"



  • Tototlmimus "Bird Mimic of the Packard Shale"



  • Yi qi "Strange Wing"



  • Zhenyuanlong "Zheyuan's Dragon" or "The Poodle from Hell"


1 comment:

  1. Omg! Dakotaraptor is best raptor! So cute! Great review, dino lady.

    ReplyDelete